Tobacco Epidemic


I read this news and I was really alarmed. The World Health Organization is now warning that the "tobacco epidemic"is growing and could kill 1 billion lives by the end of the century unless governments dramatically step up efforts to curb smoking. The WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic 2008 calls on all countries to dramatically increase efforts to prevent young people from beginning to smoke, help smokers quit and protect nonsmokers from exposure to second hand smoke.
According to the report, nearly two-thirds of the world's smokers live in 10 countries: China, which accounts for nearly 30 percent, India with about 10 percent, Indonesia, Russia, the United States, Japan, Brazil, Bangladesh, Germany and Turkey.
It forecast that more than 80 percent of tobacco-related deaths will be in low- and middle-income countries by 2030.

Tobacco use is growing fastest in low-income countries, the report said, "due to steady population growth coupled with tobacco industry targeting, ensuring that millions of people become fatally addicted each year."
It warned that "the shift of the tobacco epidemic to the developing world will lead to unprecedented levels of disease and early death in countries where population growth and the potential for increased tobacco use are highest and where health care services are least available."

I honestly don't see why people could get so addicted with smoking. I've tried smoking before and I quit after a few months because I've realized I wasn't doing myself a favor. Now I have a healthier lung and well, saved some top! Personally, I think it has more cons than it would ever have pros.. It's never too late to quit after all we only have one body and one life to live so best to live it well and take care of ourselves.

Post a Comment

0 Comments