Migraine Attack!

Yesterday, hasn't been the best time for me. I have lots of issues with my clients for my accessories business,not to mention not having a household help to do chores around the house, an empty fridge so need to do groceries, the list goes on...Well that's a typical homemaker's day but I was really beat and after lunch I had a migraine attack that just made me want to scream...

I've been known to have migraines since I was in high school and I actually learned to managed it by avoiding headache triggers, but well, these things can just be reduced in frequencies and severity, so somehow I've learned to live with it. Over the years, I've read a lot of articles on how to's and why's of migraines, cluster headaches, tension headaches.. I'd like to share some for those who have this "curse". I've gained a lot of benefit from knowing this stuff coz migraines can really hold me back in terms of my business and mostly my relationships with my family coz when I get an attack, my daughter tells me I resemble an ogre. Lol!

Migraines are painful, sometimes disabling headaches that are often accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light, noise, and smell. These throbbing headaches usually occur on only one side of the head, although the pain can shift from one side of the head to the other, or can occur on both sides at the same time.
Migraines involve changes in chemicals and blood vessels in the brain, which trigger pain signals leading to headache and other symptoms.
Migraine headaches tend to recur. A migraine headache typically lasts 4 to 24 hours but in some cases can last up to 3 days. Some people have symptoms, such as visual disturbances, that occur before a headache starts. These symptoms are called a migraine aura.
Some people have several headaches per month; others have headaches much less often. Treatment usually includes medications to prevent a migraine from occurring or to stop a migraine once it begins. In some people, migraines may be triggered by certain foods or smells. Eliminating exposure to these triggers may stop the headaches.
Common causes of headaches include:
  • Alcohol, caffeine, or other drug use or withdrawal.
  • Changes in the levels of chemicals in the body
  • Coughing or sneezing.
  • Dental problems or procedures, such as pain from grinding the teeth or from a root canal.
  • Eating or drinking cold foods and fluids.
  • Emotional stress.
  • Exposure to smoke or fumes from chemicals, including carbon monoxide.
  • Eyestrain.
  • Fever.
  • High altitude. Lower oxygen levels at high altitudes can cause headaches.
  • Medical procedures, such as the aftereffects of a lumbar puncture (spinal tap).
  • Medications. Many medications can cause headaches.
  • Muscle strain in the neck, upper back, or shoulder muscles.
  • Upper respiratory infections.

Home Treatment

Most of the time headaches get better or go away with home treatment and do not require a visit to a doctor. Home treatment for headaches can often help reduce the severity of pain and the length of time the pain is present. Home treatment may also relieve other symptoms, such as fever, nausea or vomiting, anxiety, or muscle aches. Start home treatment as soon as you can. Be sure to review the home treatment information for any other symptoms you may have.
If your health professional has prescribed a specific treatment for your headaches, begin treatment as soon as a headache starts. Be sure to follow his or her instructions when taking any prescription medication for your headache.
If the pain is not so severe, try:
  1. Rest in a quiet, dark room.
  2. Place a cool compress (ice pack) on your forehead.
  3. Do not smoke, drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs.
Ibuprofen (Advil) or Naproxen (Flanax) are the non-prescription drugs I use when I really cannot bear the pain. BUT PLS MAKE SURE NOT TO EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSES, IF YOU HAVE ALLERGIES CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST, READ AND CAREFULLY FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON MEDICINE LABEL.





Post a Comment

0 Comments