Cleaning Mode: Controlling My Clutter




Having a 4-year old child in the house equates to a lot of clutter. toys everywhere, books, crayons, and a whole load of stuff we don't really have use for. What makes it worse is that, for now, i don't have a household help since she went back to the province. The truth is, I'm at my wits end because I just hate clutter. Yesterday, I decided to devote my day clearing spacing and throwing stuff we don't really need. The house feels cleaner and tidier now and I think I can breathe easier. It's actually a great way to de-stress :P


I just realized, de-cluttering is all about making decisions...I simply asked myself: Why am I keeping this stuff? Do I really need it?

Here's what I did to control all the clutter (hopefully, I could maintain this current obsession ^_^)

KIDS STUFF:
  1. Keep kids favorite artworks. - I went an extra mile and framed my child's favorites. Store in clear books and put labels;
  2. Keep favorite toys in clear plastic containers that are easily accessible. Other toys we won't be needing, I gave out to kids around the neighborhood.
  3. Throw away old stuffed toys/broken toys - I rarely keep stuffed toys, specially since most of us in the house are allergic to dust mites.
GADGETS:

  1. Keep items you will still be using.
  2. Repair gadgets if it needs to be fixed;
  3. Give out unnecessary (but working!) gadgets to others. They might be able to use it instead of just gathering dust in your cabinets;
  4. Throw the obsolete. I actually found around 4 remote controls around the house and I didn't even know which appliance it is for, probably for old tv sets.
BOOKS AND MAGAZINES:

  1. Give out school books to school children around neighborhood;
  2. Keep only the favorite magazines and books, all the rest store away in cabinets.
TIPS:
  • Label boxes or stuff you keep;
  • If you have a lot of still usable items, why not hold a garage sale?
  • Get your kids view if you're organizing his room or his toys. Ask them what they want and what they need. This is really important for me because i want to avoid "disagreements" later on;
  • Get those clear containers. Its really great for kids clutter. They can see what's inside so they don't have to spend a lot of time looking for what they need.
  • For smaller items, make use of those shoe boxes and label them;
  • Build a routine. For me, Saturdays work best because most of us are free.





Post a Comment

0 Comments