Decorating Your Living Space

Most of us could not afford an interior designer but if you are on a budget try doing it on your own. After all its your home so you're the best person to choose what bedroom furniture, or kitchen furnishings you want to have.

I'm not an interior designer nor am I an expert decorator, but I'm addicted to decorating magazines,I religiously watch home and garden channels, I fix up my home and my parents home whenever I have the decorating itch and of course if I have a little extra budget.


Here's some pointers for beginning an interior design project on your own:

  • Get informed. Gather as much resource and materials as you can before you start. Watch decorating shows on home and garden channels (they are great since most of these shows are anchored by professional designers).Magazines and internet are a great sources of ideas on lifestyle solutions. Write down ideas that you like, photocopy magazines if you want.
  • Think about the theme and the room you will be decorating. Will it match the purpose of the room? I'm never the one for pristine and super-organized living area since I have a child at home and I feel that guests in my home would feel uncomfortable if the living room furniture arrangement looks like its straight out of a magazine cover. A living room is the social area in your home and not a museum.
  • Get the input of your family members specially the one's who will be using the room. When I fixed up my sister's room, I had to do away with the color green, since she loathes green.
  • Keep an open mind. Some decor you see in a magazine or a website may look blah, but it may match the theme you have in mind.
  • When you have decided and its time to go shopping, take the time to check out the fabrics and colors.
  • And lastly, loosen up and enjoy the process. When you're relaxed more ideas will come to mind. It's ok to make mistakes :P. I once painted parents room a super bright yellow haha I could still remember her reaction when she got home. In the end, I had to have it repainted in a mellower tone.

Post a Comment

0 Comments