Stuck in Bicol coz of Mina...

I found myself stuck in Bicol for a couple of days coz of typhoon Mina. I was just intending to stay for a 2 days which ended up in a 8-day vacation for me. Typhoons are so much part of the Bicol region, so I wasn't really that alarmed. But after what happened last year with typhoon Reming, people were a bit paranoid about the news that another super typhoon is set to arrive.I am thinking now that a bit of paranoia cant be helped when you've experienced loosing your home, livelihood and a lot more. My family and my town has been so lucky to live in a place far from lahar path but we still get battered with several typhoons each year.

Bicolanos have always been resilient and faces trials and difficulties with steadfastness that a lot of people should emulate. After all we have not only dealt with typhoons but volcanic eruptions as well. Some friends would ask me , why wont your family just move to another place or whatever...we'll its home.

Whenever a typhoon forecast is announced everyone pitches in to help. Those with big concrete houses. churches, welcomes evacuees.People don't wait for the government to clear out big trees along the road, everyone helps out without being asked. If you get stranded somewhere there, someone would be ready to extend help. During the typhoon Milenyo (2006), a lot of people were stranded inside a mall in Legazpi, but instead of being driven out, they were asked to stay inside to be safe, and fast foods inside the mall provided food for free...

When typhoon Mina's path was being forecast, we prepared for the worst. Every hour prayers were broadcasted on radio. I guess, our prayers were heard... coz Saturday it was announced that Mina was changing its course.. Thank God!








Post a Comment

0 Comments