Going Back to Albay..

Home for me would always be Albay. Some of my friends say living in this province is scary. I can't really blame them were practically l... thumbnail 1 summary
Home for me would always be Albay. Some of my friends say living in this province is scary. I can't really blame them were practically living in one of the provinces most visited by typhoons, landslides, lahar flows and volcanic eruptions.

So what makes me want to go back again and again? Simple, it's home. I grew up in one of the towns in the first district of Albay and this area has less of the floods and lahar mud flows but we get more of the strong winds during typhoons since its closer to the Pacific Ocean. This place though holds my memories of going to its black beaches for my daily swim, climbing fruit trees, playing traditional Filipino games with neighbor kids, braving the floods just to go to school, surviving countless typhoons..

When you say Albay Province, most of people from other province would think - volcano, floods, typhoons, landslides..But for me, I get reminded of greens, of a landscape so different from others. Land around the volcano is very fertile, plus we get a greater share of rains so the Albay landscape is really green.

Last week I went home to visit my parents and I've been trying to take a photo of Mayon Volcano but it has managed to elude my lenses for several days. All I could get are these photos with the volcano hiding behind clouds.

It has almost been two years since the province was struck with one of worst typhoons and mud flows in history. Hundreds of people killed and missing, several small communities buried under tons of rocks. For sometime these places has an eerie feel, just looking at it makes me feel so desolate..



Albay has suffered a lot, have weathered hundreds of typhoons, eruptions, yet Albayanos still keeps beating the odds. People from Albay are known for their resilience, their strength in times of adversity. It was tough growing up in a place like that but I'm extremely proud to be an Albayano. We have faced a lot of adversities and after all that, I could see people who have strong faith and a more generous appreciation of life..


No comments

Follow us