Ube and Forbidden Kingdom

No. Jet Li and Jackie Chan didn't have "ube" (taro) in their latest movie. This is what I've been doing yesterday. I hav... thumbnail 1 summary
No. Jet Li and Jackie Chan didn't have "ube" (taro) in their latest movie. This is what I've been doing yesterday.

I haven't been able to do much online this weekend. Missed entrecard dropping and I have several post drafts waiting for me to finish. I have a good reason :P I was experimenting on how to make Jalea de Ube from the recipe I got from my mom. I finally did it and its just so yummy. Love eating it with bread and with halo-halo.


I was feeling really full, so I dragged Hi-ace to watch Forbidden Kingdom. We watched the last full show but surprisingly there were a lot of people there. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but then I must be biased, I'm a Jet Li fanatic. Up to know I still don't know why I am so enamored by Jet Li. I've practically watched all of his movie, even if I barely understood most of them. Hi-ace says it's probably because Jet Li looks a bit like him..Hahaha!


Now where was I? The movie is the first onscreen team-up of the two martial arts superstars Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Its about A 21st Century American teenager takes a spellbinding, dangerous journey into martial arts legend in the new action/adventure epic Forbidden Kingdom. The movie was shot around the Gobi Dessert in China.

Jason, (a kung fu fanatic played by Michael Angarano - “24”, “Will and Grace,” Lords of Dogtown, Seabiscuit) makes an extraordinary discovery that sends him hurtling back in time to ancient China. There, Jason is charged with a monumental task: he must free the fabled warrior the Monkey King, who has been imprisoned by the evil Jade Warlord. Jason is joined in his quest by wise kung fu master Lu Yan (Jackie Chan) and a band of misfit warriors including Silent Monk (Jet Li). But only by learning the true precepts of kung fu can Jason hope to succeed - and find a way to get back home.

Choreography is superb, Wo Ping delivers as expected. Visual effects were also well done. Story line reminds me a bit of Karate Kid, but with that exotic oriental dash, and I really like Jackie Chan's comedic timing. Li BingBing, as the white-haired witch caught my attention, love her moves and the way they played up her eyes. Michael Angarano is forgettable, I wasn't very impressed and he seemed out of place like he doesn't have the right touch to be the "legendary seeker".

I wouldn't put this film in the same category as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, but its worth watching. Truly entertaining and great for kids too.


3 comments

Tahn said...

Thanks for the review!

Toe said...

Pahinging ube. :)

Wow, I love Jet Li and Jackie Chan too. Maybe I can find that in Toul Tompong. :)

pinaywife said...

hi toe!

sarap ng ube talaga..

hope you can find that in toul tompong, very entertaining yung movie.

haay i'll soon be going there:) btw, my mother in law lives just a block a way from tuol tompong.

Follow us