My Mom and Her Furnishing Obsession

I just got back and I feel refreshed and a bit sad. It's always sad when you leave your parents house and besides my daughter and her gr... thumbnail 1 summary
I just got back and I feel refreshed and a bit sad. It's always sad when you leave your parents house and besides my daughter and her grandma decided to spend more time together (excluding me), so she's staying with my folks for a few more days :(.

While I was there my mom was busy as always on her newly renovated kitchen. For someone who rarely cooks, I am simply amazed at how she can be so obsessed with fixing her kitchen cabinets, tiles, kitchen tools etc. She's always complaining she doesn't have enough storage for her kitchen appliances, dinnerwares. Dad is now saying if she ever decides to start a catering business, it would be great so she can make use of her collection.

The living room, she doesn't mind it much since she says she prefers it to be simple and uncluttered as it is, so what gets her attention now is the kitchen and the garden. We have a small "kubo" (hut) in the garden and that's her next project : make the "kubo" look more tropical and put some flowers and ferns around it. She's has already started now and been planting these ferns..


Home is the extension of your personality and lifestyle and it is where you relax and attend to small details of your life. Mom frequently tells me a home should be furnished with ease, attractiveness and functionality in mind. I agree with her, though unlike her I'm nowhere near being obsessive about collecting home furnishings and decor, I still want to make my home attractively furnished.

When furnishing a house, my mom recommends: (1) doing a lot of window-shopping first, check out catalogs and online resources (2) choose your style (3) your furnishing should match your lifestyle (4) check room measurements, furniture arrangements etc, (4) choose colors that can be easily matched and fabrics that will last long (5) choose the one's you can afford (6) don't buy it all at once.. take your time :)




No comments

Follow us